Wednesday, May 12, 2010 | |

At the Gates of Darkness by Raymond E. Feist


I'll start by saying that I am a HUGE fan of this whole meta-series, The Riftwar Cycle. It starts with a 5 book series called the Riftwar Saga, at which time the Empire Trilogy written by Feist and Janny Wurts also takes place, and moves on to the Krondor's Sons series. Bah... enough of this, I'm just giving you his wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_E._Feist

It's all there. The man is a living, breathing, writing deity (according to the "how many books have you written" rule which states that a person's level of Deity is directly proportional to the amount of material they have written) and he has been writing since 1982, when his first book Magician came out. Okay, that's the series so far (and it is AMAZING) so on to the actual review of his latest book, At the Gates of Darkness.

Characters: Pug, the main character of probably half or more of these books (or at least a character that features prominently) is an easy character to relate to. The characters in these books are well written, and their motivations are clear and very human. They are some of the most well-written characters I have ever encountered, and this book doesn't fail to live up to that. 3/3


Plot: This is a sequel to Rides a Dread Legion, the first book in the Demonwar saga, where (unsurprisingly) we encounter demons on a more regular basis than previous books. I don't want to spoiler, but I will say that this book in every way lives up to the plot setup from the previous book. I recommend that you start with the beginning (so to speak) if you are going to read this series. Yes, it might take a while, but it is also well worth it. 4/4

Setting: The ever familiar setting of Midkemia, which is pretty much analogous of Earth (except for the fantasy parts of course). It is a well set up world, and I really enjoy my dual-citizenship there. There are other places as well, but we don't get to see them in as much detail (which makes sense, because neither do the characters). 3/3

Total Score: 10/10. This book is a great read, I couldn't put it down (and wouldn't have anyway), and I really look forward to the next book(s). Thank you Mr. Feist for keeping me entertained all these years.

1 comments:

qwadro_fx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment